Hubbard Lake is a lake in Alcona County in Northern Michigan. The lake covers 8,850 acres (36 km²) and is seven miles (11 km) wide (north-south) and two miles (3 km) long. It has a maximum depth of 85 feet (26 m) with an average depth of 32.6 feet (9.9 m). The lake spans three townships: Caledonia, Alcona, and Hawes.
The lake is part of the a large tract of land (more than six million acres, or 24,000 km²) that was ceded by the Ojibwa, Ottawa and Potawatomi to the United States in the 1819 Treaty of Saginaw. Permanent white settlers did not begin to arrive in the area until the 1830s and 40s. At that time, the lake was known as the "Bottomless Lake". It was also for a while known as "Coral Lake" and "Alcona Lake". In 1867, it was named "Hubbard Lake" in honor of Dr. Bela Hubbard, who was a prominent geologist in the state of Michigan.
It is among the top 20 largest inland lakes in the state.Back to Lakes
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||8,850 acres|
|Max depth||85 ft|